Services Index

Message from the Victim/Witness Office

The key to solving many crimes in Amherst County lies not with the Sheriff's Department, the Police, or even the Courts but with you, the citizen. Unless crimes are promptly reported and people are willing to come forward and testify in court, the likelihood of arrest and conviction is greatly diminished.

This office realizes that in return for your help, we have a responsibility to ensure the fair and considerate treatment of all citizens involved in the criminal justice system. To meet this responsibility, a victim/witness assistance program has been established within the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office to assist you with any questions or problems you may have concerning your case.

It is our goal to make your experience as positive as we possibly can.

The Amherst Victim/Witness Program

The Victim/Witness Program exists to ensure that you receive fair and compassionate treatment as an active participant in the criminal justice system. Serving the citizens of Amherst since February 1990, the Victim/Witness program is staffed by a full-time director. The primary goals of the program are to respond to your emotional and physical needs as a victim of crime, to help you understand and participate in the criminal justice system, and to provide you with information and referrals for community services.

Contact the Victim/Witness Program at (434) 946-9347 if:

  • You have questions about your role as a witness;
  • You would like an explanation of court procedures or a tour of the courtroom before you testify;
  • You need someone to speak to your employer to allow you to appear as a witness without loss of wages;
  • Your personal property is being held as evidence and you want to know when you may get it back;
  • You want assistance in preparing your Victim Impact Statement
  • You want information about qualifying for Victim's Compensation for personal injuries or counseling;
  • You need a referral to Community Service Agencies that provide emergency, financial, medical, or psychological assistance to crime victims; or
  • You are not receiving restitution payments that were ordered by the Court or you are interested in receiving court-ordered restitution.